- Books by 8th Day
- Centerings Newsletter
- Environmental E-Zines
- Partnering Coalitions
- Radio Show
- 8th Day Videos
- Peace Leaflets
- Feminist Platform
- Join Us
- Revel In The Revolution
Mission and Vision
Impelled by the belief that all creation is sacred and interrelated;
Imbued with the principles of nonviolence, mutuality and cooperation,
8th Day Center for Justice, a coalition founded by Catholic religious congregations, acts as a critical alternative voice to oppressive systems and works to change those systems.
The Spirituality of justice calls the staff of the 8th Day Center to envision a world of right relationships in which all creation is seen as sacred and interconnected. In such a world all people are equal and free from oppression, have a right to a just distribution of resources, and to live in harmony with the cosmos.
8th Day Center for Justice Goals
In light of our faith based vision, our ministry is guided by these goals.
To promote justice, equality and human dignity among all people regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, or socio-economic class.
- To stand with people who experience violence and discrimination, and communities striving for self-determination.
- To resist nonviolently the scapegoating and murder of communities or religions under the guise of protecting national interests.
- To promote environmental sustainability.
- To foster critical analysis and awareness out of a spirituality of nonviolence and to model this in our work and in society.
- To uphold the right to dissent against oppressive structures in church and society.
- To oppose the use of religious values for profit or violence.
- To respond to emerging critical needs and to enhance the effectiveness of individual and collective energies through the use of the organic model.
- To effectively network with member congregations, coalitions and other friends of 8th Day Center for Justice.
- To ensure the future of justice work by involving diverse participation.
- To work for the future staffing and funding of 8th Day Center for Justice.
8th Day Center staff works from an organic model to fulfill its vision and goals. Each element of this model is integral to our whole effort for justice:
- We will participate with our coordinating council in a planning process to assure staffing and funding for the centers ministry.
- We will engage in weekly staff meetings for prayer, common focus, issue integration and staff business.
- We will engage in issue work within a broad range of coalitions, center projects and ad-hoc groups.
- Our efforts will be fluid as suggested by the organic nature of the center and in response to emerging critical needs. That is to say, the collective staff, or an individual staff member, may begin or end such engagements during the year as conditions dictate. This fluidity enhances our effectiveness and the use of our individual and collective energies.
- We will utilize the social justice process based upon experience, social analysis, theological reflection and action.
- We will maintain a system of liaison with member congregations to ensure greater cooperation in our common goals.